Signage and Educational Tools For In Your Strata Accommodation
The following tools support properties as they introduce or update systems and procedures that keep organic and recyclable waste out of the garbage. These are free and available for download below (some links redirect to partner pages).
FREE Multi-Family Accommodation Waste Solutions Tools
This letter is designed to inform tenants of your new composting and recycling program, and to explain why these changes are taking place. Consider pairing this with a compost pale to hand out to every tenant in your property to get people prepared and on board with changes to your waste diversion system.
Place these in-units to showcase how and why to collect Food Scraps & Organics
A guide to what is accepted where and when in Whistler
This tool showcases what goes in and what stays out of the food scraps and organics bin.
Use the tool bellow to tell the difference between plastics that can be composted and plastics that are harming our compost and soil by being collected with our food scraps & organics
Where Does your Cup Go?
Not all to-go cups are created equal. This is a step-by-step guide on how to navigate the coffee cup conundrum.
Free Downloadable Signage
Whistler and other communities are working together to regionalize signage so there is consistency of colors and images across communities. This will make it easier for residents and visitors to quickly navigate bins at depots, inn businesses and in accommodations.
Kitchen Catcher Signage – Small Organics Bin:
Horizontal, large format signage with text for garbage room walls or large round waste receptacles:
Vertical, large format signage with text for garbage room walls or tall skinny waste receptacles:
Square signage without text for round waste receptacles:
Vertical signage without text for tall skinny waste receptacles:
Waste receptacle name labels:
Key Policies and Initiatives
- Resort Municipality of Whistler updated Solid Waste Bylaw no. 2139 2017
- RMOW Solid Waste Management Strategy 2013
- Draft SLRD Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan 2016
- BC Recycles: BC’s Recycling Handbook
Building and Retrofitting
- RMOW Flow Chart to help properties determine potential next steps required to comply with the Solid Waste Bylaw
- RMOW Garbage Room Enclosure Guidelines
- Consider design, access for both haulers and users, and available bin options for your space with this City of Richmond- Design Consideration for Commercial Properties Guide
Signage and Educational Campaigns
- Create custom signs to target specific, common items in your recycling and waste management program with the SLRD Do-It-Yourself Signage Tool
- Engage tenants with these downloadable posters and social media images from Metro Vancouver’s Waste Reduction campaign
Photo Credit: Stephanie Hubbard