The AWARE Board of Directors
The Board of Directors governs AWARE and its work in the community. Directors create and continually review progress against AWARE’s Strategic Plan in collaboration with the Executive Director. Contributing a diversity of skills and experience, directors meet as a Board on the third Wednesday of each month (excluding August).
The Role of the Board
The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of an organization. This responsibility can be broken down into six key elements:
- Provide strategic leadership & direction for AWARE
- Set the conditions for organizational success
- Oversee and monitor all aspects of governance
- Ensure the organization’s financial health and sustainability
- Protect the best interests of the organization and the environment it exists to serve
- Ensure knowledge of stakeholder expectations, needs, concerns, and interests, and build effective relationships.
General Expectations of a Board Member
Directors commit to a two year terms and are asked to:
- Regularly attend Board and Public meetings
- Make a serious commitment to contributing to the success of AWARE’s campaigns
- Stay informed about current campaigns, prepare well for meetings, comment on minutes and prepare reports for your area of responsibility
- Willingly accept responsibilities of your position and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Get to know other Board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to achieving consensus
- Be an active participant in the Board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Participate in community engagement and advocacy for the organization
- Be an ambassador for positive environmental stewardship
- Act honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the society, and exercise the care, diligence, and skill of a reasonably prudent person
Meet AWARE’s current Board of Directors
If you are interested in joining AWARE’s Board of Directors or would like more information please contact AWARE’s Executive Director, Claire Ruddy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Coast Mountain Photography