The AWARE Board of Directors
The Board of Directors governs AWARE and its work in the community through creation and continual review of AWARE’s strategic and annual work plans. Contributing a diversity of skills and experience AWARE Directors serve a two‐year term, with the Annual General Meeting (AGM) creating the opportunity for a yearly influx of new directors. AWARE’s Board can consist of up to 12 elected Directors. At each AGM only new directors or those at the end of their two-year term need to apply. All AWARE members in good standing and present at the AGM are eligible to vote for directors.
Nominees For Directors – 2018-2020
Nominations are in for Directors for AWARE for the 2018-2020 term.
Nominations will be voted on at the AGM on March 8th.
The Role of the Board
The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of an organization. This responsibility can be broken down into six key elements:
- Provide strategic leadership & direction for AWARE
- Set the conditions for organizational success
- Oversee and monitor all aspects of governance
- Ensure the organization’s financial health and sustainability
- Protect the best interests of the organization and the environment it exists to serve
- Ensure knowledge of stakeholder expectations, needs, concerns, and interests, and build effective relationships.
AWARE’s board is a volunteer ‘working boards’, meaning that in addition to setting direction and oversight of the organization the board undertakes operational tasks to support the groups strategic goals. Much of this work takes place though committee groups, which may be ongoing (for example meeting throughout the year to undertake annual HR tasks), or ad-hoc with just a few meetings needed to work together on specific actions (e.g. organization of a large event or setting strategy around a particular issue). Committees are made up of directors, staff and volunteers.
Schedule of 2018 Board Meetings
2018 Board Meeting Dates: January 17 | April 18 | July 18 | October 17
Annual General Meeting and Election: March 8th 2018 | 6-8pm | Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
General Expectations of a Board Member
Directors commit to a two year terms and are asked to:
- Regularly attend Board and Public meetings
- Make a serious commitment to contributing to the success of AWARE’s campaigns
- Stay informed about current campaigns, prepare well for meetings, comment on minutes and prepare reports for your area of responsibility
- Willingly accept responsibilities of your position and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Get to know other Board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to achieving consensus
- Be an active participant in the Board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Participate in community engagement and advocacy for the organization
- Be an ambassador for positive environmental stewardship
- Act honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the society, and exercise the care, diligence, and skill of a reasonably prudent person
Meet AWARE’s current Board of Directors
If you are interested in joining AWARE’s Board of Directors or would like more information please contact AWARE’s Executive Director, Claire Ruddy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Coast Mountain Photography