The holidays are overwhelming for all of us, including our planet. The amount of waste is exceptional this time of year. Here are ten things you can do to have a greener holiday season.
- Use certified LED light for your holiday cheer. The use 95% less energy and last 20 times longer.
- Skip the gift wrap and opt for an upcycled roadmap, the cartoon section of the paper, or an outdated calendar, or fabric instead.
- Incorporate natural elements into your decor.
- Skip the Christmas tree and decorate a house plant instead. If you must have a tree, go for the real deal and make sure to compost it once it’s time for the decorations to come down.
- Send out e-cards instead of snail mail.
- Gift experiences instead of things.
- Carpool to holiday functions.
- Cut back on fossil fuels by supporting local artisans.
- Avoid gifts with batteries.
- Don’t forget to regift.
The AWARE team wishes you a green and cheerful holiday season!
These tips were transcribed from AWARE’s audio Eco-Tips. AWARE’s eco-tips were created to inspire and educate on the many ways in which we can each live a more environmentally conscious and sustainable life. Tune in to 101.5 Whistler FM or visit the below page to learn about all the choices you can make to be a better global citizen.Tune in for more Eco-Tips