Household cleaning supplies are jam-packed with the most powerful bacteria killers in existence, expertly engineered to complete annihilate just about every organism they come into contact with, including the good guys. We’re sure you won’t be surprised to hear these germ terminators aren’t the best for the environment. Many cleaning products have toxic effects on animal and plant life inside and outside the home.
Here are a few reasons why you should switch to homemade cleaners:
- They are safer for you and your children.
- They aren’t harmful to the air you breathe and the water you drink.
- They contain fewer antibacterial ingredients which promote bacterial resistance to antibiotics.
- They are less expensive than buying from a store and you likely already have the ingredients already in your pantry.
- Green cleaners aren’t corrosive and meet strict standards regarding inhalation toxicity, combustibility and skin absorption.
For a simple do-it-yourself all-purpose cleaner recipe, mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 400 mL of water. Place the ingredients in a spray bottle, shake well to mix, and clean away. Make the product your own by adding a few drops of your favourite essential oil, such as tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint or lemon.
These tips were transcribed from AWARE’s audio Eco-Tips. AWARE’s eco-tips were created to inspire and educate on the many ways in which we can each live a more environmentally conscious and sustainable life. Tune in to 101.5 Whistler FM or visit the below page to learn about all the choices you can make to be a great global citizen.Tune in for more Eco-Tips