Part-Time, 20-Month Term Position
Posting No. 19-07 September 12, 2019
The Association of Whistler Area Residents for the Environment (AWARE) is Whistler’s environmental charity, currently celebrating its 30th year. We work to progress community-scale solutions to some of the biggest challenges of our time. Climate Change. Habitat Fragmentation. Biodiversity Loss. Wildlife. Water. Waste. We work independently and with others to connect people with nature and build more sustainable communities.
Every member of our small but dedicated team has the opportunity to create change from within the programs they work on – whether inspiring future generations to care about the environment, helping people grow local organic food, or supporting businesses to reduce waste. We find ways to connect with the things people care about and focus on finding shared values – as a route to changing behaviours and shifting unsustainable cultural norms. AWARE is looking for a driven, accountable and knowledgeable individual to join our team as an Administration Coordinator.
The Administration Coordinator will work with the Executive Director (ED), to manage a busy office and be part of a team that delivers projects, programs and events focused on local, regional and global environmental issues. Position responsibilities will fall into three main areas:
- Assist with record-keeping and data entry using Quickbooks accounting system, including invoicing, raising payments, month-end reconciliation, issuing receipts, etc.
- Tracking and approving employee hours and expenses in Harvest timekeeping program and processing payroll via online ADP system every two weeks.
- Hiring and terminating employees in ADP system, issuing ROEs, T4, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director to continually implement effective office systems.
- Complete a diverse checklist of weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly administrative duties, from data entry to the compilation of reports.
- Support meetings of the Board of Directors and Committees.
- Assisting with the recruitment of seasonal staff, creating and posting job descriptions, scheduling interviews, etc.
- Other administrative tasks as determined by the Executive Director.
- Post-secondary education preferably in business, administration, or relevant work experience.
- Minimum 1-2 years admin + basic bookkeeping experience (A/P, A/R, posting expenses).
- Experience with QuickBooks/Simply Accounting program beneficial.
- Experience with ADP payroll and Timesheet programs beneficial.
- Comfortable in MS Office, Excel and learning new programs.
- Must have thoroughness, accuracy and attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- Applicants should possess the ability to work as part of a team and independently to manage multiple concurrent task deadlines.
- Community awareness and interest in environment and sustainability.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this role will be based out of the AWARE office in Cheakamus, Whistler and will be scheduled on Monday or Tuesday (payroll processing) but offers flexible work hours and the opportunity to work from home and in an office environment for other administrative tasks outside of payroll.
This is a part-time, term position offered for 8-12 hours per week with an initial commitment of 20 months from October 1, 2019, until May 31, 2021. Dependent on candidate skills and performance, we anticipate the potential for expanded hours and an extended timeline. Wage range will be $18-$22 per hour based on education and experience.
An RCMP criminal record clearance is mandatory for this position.
We believe the following skills, strengths and interests will help you thrive in this role:
- Accountability – you work hard, have fun and take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, you get things done and you don’t need someone looking over your shoulder
- Consultation – you understand the value of partnership and understand how to work with others to identify and resolve complex and sensitive issues
- Research and analysis – you can examine data, grasp the issues, and draw conclusions to ultimately solve problems
- Self-directed – you thrive in a self-directed environment, enabling growth and success isn’t something you wait for other people to do
- Communication – you can clearly and accurately convey information to a variety of audiences using the tools necessary, engaging people to ensure the message is understood while being yourself and a net generator of positive energy
- Creative and Innovative Thinking – you develop fresh ideas that provide solutions for communities and people facing complex challenges
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter detailing their relevant interest and experience by email to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please reference Posting No. 19-07 in your application. Application deadline is September 24, 2019