Just before Earth Day, we invite you to simplify life, clean out clutter and reduce waste by adding AWARE’s annual Clothes Swap. The Simplify Life Clothes Swap is a space where people can bring clothes, shoes and accessories they no longer wear and swap them for other previously loved items they will adore! The event takes place on Friday, April 21 allowing for attendees to wear their new outfits the next day on Earth Day!
- $10 with swappable clothing
- $20 empty handed
- $5 discount on above rates for AWARE Members
The world now consumes an estimated 80 billion new pieces of clothing every year. This is 400% more than the amount consumed just two decades ago. Plus, the average American now generates 82 pounds of textile waste each year. That adds up to more than 11 million tons of textile waste from the U.S. alone. – The True Cost
Now in its fourth year, the AWARE Earth Day Clothes Swap event is intended to:
- Reduce the need to buy new clothes by trading previously loved items;
- Celebrate conscious consumerism;
- Raise awareness of the 9 R’s to reduced waste – Rethink, Refuse, Repurpose, Repair, Regift, Recover, Reduce, Reuse, and lastly, Recycle;
- Connect and build community around this annual Earth Day celebration.
The annual Earth Day Clothes Swap raises funds for Whistler’s environmental charity, the Association of Whistler Area Residents for the Environment (AWARE). The 2016 swap has been made possible thanks to venue sponsorship provided by the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.
Unswapped clothing will be donated to Dress for Success, a charity empowering women into the workforce, and the Whistler Re-Use-It Centre, a social enterprise fueling Whistler’s social programs and diverting tonnes of waste from the landfill annually.
Photo credit: Laura Hanlon