Signage and Educational Tools For In Your Business
The following tools support businesses as they introduce or update systems and procedures that keep organic and recyclable waste out of the garbage. These are free and available for download below (some links redirect to partner pages).
If your business is located in a building with strata accommodation, please use the signage found on the Strata Accommodation Tools Page here. Why? Strata properties receive money back from MultiMaterials BC (MMBC) and are required to showcase the MMBC logo on all waste room signage. MMBC is a non-profit stewardship program aimed at making businesses responsible for the end of life management of their product’s packaging, click here to learn more.
FREE Business Waste Solutions Tools
This guide provides practical solutions to help Whistler businesses keep recyclable and organic
materials out of the waste destined for landfill. In addition, the guide provides tools and techniques
to reduce the overall amount of waste being generated in commercial properties.
Use this tool to review and identify gaps in your waste management system.
Use this tracking tool to record the primary sources of food waste generated in your business.
Use this tool to familiarize yourself with some of the waste management infrastructure options available for your establishment.
Use this tool to confidently navigate product purchasing.
Identifying Compostable Plastics
Use the tool bellow to tell the difference between plastics that can be composted and plastics that are harming our compost and soil by being collected with our food scraps & organics
This tool showcases what goes in and what stays out of the food scraps and organics bin.
Where Does Your Waste Belong?
Understanding the lifecycle of an item from start to finish can make it easier to understand the intricacies tied to each product and why they need to be handled differently.
Where Does Your Cup Go?
Not all to-go cups are created equal. This is a step-by-step guide on how to navigate the coffee cup conundrum.
Free Downloadable Signage
Whistler and other communities are working together to regionalize signage so there is consistency of colors and images across communities. This will make it easier for residents and visitors to quickly navigate bins at depots, inn businesses and in accommodations.
Business Waste Solutions – Signage – Small Organics Bin:
Horizontal, large format signage with text for garbage room walls or large round waste receptacles:
Vertical, large format signage with text for garbage room walls or tall skinny waste receptacles:
Square signage without text for round waste receptacles:
Vertical signage without text for tall skinny waste receptacles:
Square, blank signage. Items can be attached to this signage to showcase where specific items belong. Great for Zero Waste Stations:
Vertical, blanks signage. Items can be attached to this signage to showcase where specific items belong. Great for Zero Waste Stations:
Waste receptacle name labels:
New Waste Stream – Other Flexible Plastic Packaging:
Key Policies and Initiatives
- Resort Municipality of Whistler updated Solid Waste Bylaw no. 2139 2017
- RMOW Solid Waste Management Strategy 2013
- Draft SLRD Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan 2016
- Industry Food Donation Guidelines
- BC Recycles: BC’s Recycling Handbook
Building and Retrofitting
- RMOW Flow Chart to help properties determine potential next steps required to comply with the Solid Waste Bylaw
- RMOW Garbage Room Enclosure Guidelines
- Consider design, access for both haulers and users, and available bin options for your space with this City of Richmond- Design Consideration for Commercial Properties Guide
Signage and Educational Campaigns
- Create custom signs to target specific, common items in your recycling and waste management program with the SLRD Do-It-Yourself Signage Tool
- Engage staff with these downloadable posters and social media images from Metro Vancouver’s Waste Reduction campaign
Photo Credit: Stephanie Hubbard